Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Jenessa Week 6 Transfer time.......Staying and Learning!

Hello Everyone-

Can't believe that i have already been out in the field a full transfer! That is just crazy! That means I only have about 7 more to go. When you think in terms of transfers missions seem waaaaaayyyyy too short!! I am actually hoping that I will be able to extend my mission a bit since I had such a huge gap between coming home and then coming back out....wouldn't it be cool if Hermana Heckel and I came home at the same time! That would be pretty sweet!! :-) I would LOVE it!!!

This week has been wonderful! I have been learning so much from my companion and from the area. We had the wonderful opportunity of being at the baptism of ANTHONY!!! Yes, he got baptized on Sunday. He is the maintenance manager of our apartment that Sister Orton and I talked to weeks ago and committed him to be baptized on November 24th and guess what...he kept that date! It was a beautiful experience and one we were grateful to be a part of. 

We are currently teaching a family that I think I mentioned a couple emails ago, they are Harold and Christine and their daughter. They have been going through some health issues and have not really been able to meet with us or come to church. They were so excited to come to church this sunday and we had arranged for a member to pick them up and then that morning their daughter woke up with a fever and throwing up so they couldn't make it. It was so sad. NEXT WEEK FOR SURE THOUGH! They LOVED what we left them to study from Alma 32 and the restoration DVD that we left for them to watch. We have the opportunity to go back and teach them more about this and hopefully about the Plan of Salvation on Wednesday!! Super excited! :-) 

We have been working hard to find people to teach and to continue this work forward here in the Normandy Area. Its not easy, but it is so incredibly worth it. There was a day when I was just TIRED! It wasn't a very productive day and it was honestly the worst day I have had out here on my mission so far. I have just concluded that when we are not urgent in the work and slack off even a bit, that joy that comes from following the Lord exactly is no longer with you and I want it with me ALL the time! I love the Lord and I am so happy to be out here doing this work. 

I have decided to start studying a bit from the New Testament and Jesus The Christ, during bits of my personal study and in the evening before bed. It has been an incredible study so far! There is so much to be learned from the life of the Savior. You can find so many answers to so many questions as you read. :-) Its so beautiful. I have been struggling a bit with understanding my companion and changing my heart to help me to be more patient with her and myself. I love her with all of my heart and want to help her and us do this work the best that we can. I have been praying for a change of heart, for eyes to see the things that I need to work on in myself to help me to be more understanding and helpful. As I was reading in Matthew Chapter 9 this morning I had an "Aw Ha" moment. It was beautiful. I was reading versus 28-30. Which read: "And when Jesus departed thence, two blind men followed him, crying, and saying, Thou Son of David, have mercy on us. And when he was come into the house, the blind men came to him: and Jesus saith unto them, Believe ye that I am able to do this? They said unto him, Yea, Lord. Then touched he their eyes, saying, According to your faith be it unto you......And their eyes were OPENED." 

I started to understand that I had been blind to what was right in front of me....MY SAVIOR. That he is the one that helps us to change our hearts, to be more patient, understanding, kind, etc..... I have been struggling trying to change things myself. I have been turning over this work unto him and having faith that he will help me to do what is needful here...then why has it been so hard to have the faith to see that it is the Savior that i need to rely on just as much, if not more, to change me!!! I am now seeking my Savior in a different way. I am asking that he will have mercy on me and my blindness. I am turning to him and continually seeking him that he might heal me. I am handing him my heart. When he asks me if I believe that he can do this thing and change me....I hope to be able to tell him YES! I hope that he can say "According to your faith be it unto you"....and my eyes will be opened!!

I love the Lord!! I love the scriptures and the guidance, comfort, and counsel that we can receive from them on a daily basis. I know that the Bible and the Book of Mormon are the word of God, along with all our modern day revelations. We are truly blessed to be living at this time that we have the knowledge of the Gospel and the light that it radiates in our lives! I am so grateful for it and thank my Heavenly Father daily that I get to be a part of this great work! 

I hope ya'll have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!! :-) 

Have a wonderful day!

Love
-Sister Heckel 

No comments:

Travis - Easter Week!!!!

Hello Everyone! So this has been a fantastic week. We had a lot of stuff for this Easter time that has made it all the more fun. So we had a...