Monday, December 1, 2014

Travis- THANKFUL

I am so thankful this year. I am thankful for the chance I have to serve a mission in California. I'm thankful for the family and friends that I have supporting me while I am out here. I am honored to be able to teach this great gospel, whom I've had to rely on so heavily upon, to all Gods children. It brings me great joy to know that those people who I annoyed, teased, laughed with, and love; Enjoy this gospel just like me! I have had such a humbling thanksgiving week! I seriously believe I will bleed mash potatoes and gravy though :O hahahahaha but this week we where able to finally teach the gray family.

So I mentioned only a little about them before. But Jaden Gray is a 16 year old high school football player. He is super tall and quite shy. He has light brown hair and blueish hazel eyes. He is an awesome guy who's investigating and learning about the church. He had lost his dad, who was a soldier, about a year ago. It has been very hard on the family. We have had a couple lessons with him and his older sister.  Who works at the military base as a special kinda nurse, she is about 4 years older then him. She was a less active member, now active and helping Haden to learn for himself. They both live with their mother, who is a member , she took it really hard and isolated herself somewhat from people. But she made a stunning turn around she the missionaries showed up at her door again (I don't know exact time) but she now is frantically going through school trying to get a degree , so that she can get a better job. It has been difficult getting them all together until Tuesday, We showed up for our appointment and caught her home. She decided to join  us as we taught him about the plan of salvation. She was so happy and asked us many questions, she said told us at the end of the lesson, that she wants to sit down more often and listen. She really believes she needs to learn this again. What a blessing to see a family rebound and build up in strength through the lord. 

 We also had the chance to help a less active family move called the Daniels. They are a struggling family, the mother works all day while the father stays home. The issue here is that both parents are addicted to video games. So the children are pretty much neglected somewhat and the house is in disarray. The land lord evicted them this week for that very issue, There are many reasons for the way they act. But while we moved them we really taught them about the importance of church and family. I kinda scorned him and really drilled into him the effects he is having on the family that way. During the clean out....we ended up just shoveling stuff into trash bins there was so much!! And honestly we kinda thought we drove them away, but after the 8 grueling hours of work. They sat us down and talked about needing to change and wanted us to come teach them more at their new home. It made me so happy to see them humble themselves and wanna learn. 

We also where able to teach a six year old boy. His name is Aidian Louise, he wale,d up to us and told us he wanted to learn about Jesus! Such a a amazing experience. The mother is very strict Methodist. So she was very reluctant to let us come over and teach. So we met him at the park and taught him a few times. But eventually an issue came up which allowed for us to meet her at the home. As I went about teaching him, my companion in his feminine way connect with the mother and finally spark her interest which turned into a two hour Q&A time. It was super exciting to see her open up. And the six year old is already super smart and understood a lot of what we where teaching. Honestly I'm super excited to teach them, she said if they got baptized at she would be the first one in a very long line of ancestors who wasn't Methodist, she also believes from what we told her that her family might accept the choice if not investigate :D ha hahahahah 


We also taught many more lessons this week, visits families and leaving with food. All week people have given us pies, potatoes, turkey, candy....everything. It is insane how much we get, I feel that they think we starve haha, people feed us pretty good here! Their are only a few days a week we don't eat. But we enjoy it! Especially on thanks giving we went to three different thanksgiving dinners! I'm gunna die, never ever stuff yourself on the first one....and never let people serve you....BECAUSE THEY WILL LOAD YOU! Haha but I met many different families and enjoyed my time. 

So this next week I will not be emailing out or anything. I am doing a blackout week. I won't be reading emails, sending emails, posting on Facebook...or using any technology that I don't need to. It's my own personal way of getting closer with my Heavenly Father. I feel that I can make a deeper connection, especially with the holidays here, with the spirit. I love all that you guys do for me and still encourage you to write me. But I won't be answering for a bit, I will definitely answer the next week to anyone who writes me. Or texts me, either one! I hope everything is going well and can't wait to hear from you all later!! This is a time to remember why we celebrate Christmas....and please Cherish the times you have with family and friends because that can seriously disappear in a moment. I would also ask that you each please watch the latest church video out. Go to Christmas.mormon.org , I would challenge you to check it out and find why Christmas means so much and why is important. Also a package or two will arrive as soon as I send them. DO NOT OPEN! There names will be on there and I want you all to wait till Christmas to give them out. I love you all a lot and I am so thankful for the help and support you are. Even when I haven't been the greatest. Have a good day and see you in a few weeks! 

Love Elder Heckel 

No comments:

Travis - Easter Week!!!!

Hello Everyone! So this has been a fantastic week. We had a lot of stuff for this Easter time that has made it all the more fun. So we had a...