Monday, November 17, 2014

Travis- Transferred to Gridley.

Dear family,

     All is well in California, I was just transferred to the Gridley 1st ward! This new area is fantastic, I kinda feel like I am in Heber City again. It's a small town yet it kinda feels big and there is a ton of farm land! Like ALOT! There is mostly rice and walnuts, but we have a variety of all different fruits and vegetables. Haha but switching to a new area was nothing like I thought. It's kinda a scary experience to have this big of a change and to not know everyone in the ward again. Things function differently in the are here then in Shasta lake but I enjoy this change and I am excited to tackle it. I'm slowly learning to love not only the new area, but also the new companion. His name is Elder Ramos, he is a Texas/Mexican, he comes from a big family of 13 (mixture of two families) he is super intelligent, funny, and loves to listen to music and sing. He enjoys the work and shows more emotion in things then most people do. He loves the work out here and has gone through many different changes. Oh I almost forgot, he has been out about 18 months already! But he is very cool and really pushes me to be a new kind of missionary which I am thankful for. 
 We have already taught so many different families since I have been here. One for example is a family called the grays. They are a smaller family, there is the mother ,who I haven't really got to know yet, who's going back to college to get a degree. Her daughter who is a 20 year old medic in the army and works in California. And there is her son, he is a 14 year old football player, he is very innocent and shy and is the greatest one to teach. The mother is semi-member and the daughter we aren't sure is yet or not. She knows a ton but we have yet to find her records. And the son hasn't really had a chance to see the gospel till now. When his father died, her mother fell into a depression for a while in which she was able to contemplate her life from then on. She decided it would be good not only to go back to school but to also start having the gospel back in their lives. We are teaching many part member families just like them, and it's always crazy how different the situation is, some are arrogant and stubborn and refuse to change, others are humbled and are open for God to guide them. I know that as I get to know them more and more I will love these people and get to know them better.
  I also would like to thank you guys for the package you sent. It was super nice and I was in need of some of that. Although I'm at a loss what to do with the Electric tooth brush I just bought. But I love it......hey did you realize that keyboard is for a tablet? It won't work for my iPad...hahaha it's fine I'll just send it home again. But I thank you for it and the letters, they really do make my whole week a ton better. As hard as it is to believe we missionaries do get discouraged, we do lose sight of why we are out. But the letters give us great motivation to remember the support we have and why we are here. 

Also I love that you sent me cookies...unfortunately I can't really eat them to much gluten for me right now. Gluten I don't think does to much to me rather than a little sleepy, but since I have said this people have fed me so much healthier that I never want to change. It's become a habit to say that I to everyone, Hahahaha but I still love it! And I am thankful for the chance, I seriously don't think I have eaten healthier in my life and I am now doing all sorts of workouts...I'm searching for weights still so I limited to running and push-ups but it's working fantastic.  I'm thankful for it, also the coat you got me is super nice, but since I moved south to a warmer climate I have not been able to use the jacket....I only got to use it twice!! 

So crazy thing. We went and helped a boy to finish his eagle project of planting trees. He was planting them everywhere in town and guess what else was going on to...a spider migration. Their are hundreds of spiders using their webs to fly through the air and land on everything. I freaked out at first and tried everything to keep them off of me. Buying then I got use to it....but they where everywhere!! These tiny jumping spiders ridding the wind with their webs. So their are a million webs everywhere to. I wish I has taken pictures but I forgot my camera. It's all the farm land creates a crazy breeding ground haha. Many of you would freaked out haha.

  I have so much more to talk about and wish I could take the time. But things have changed, work is harder heck I have lessons on p-day now before 6:00 it's insane. But I love it and you guys, I'll tell YA more about those I teach and what goes on. I also will tell YA about the family history stuff I am learning it is quite cool when you have a full understanding of it. I have learned so much especially that I'm a Laban,In the sense that I constantly have to be reminded of God and his miracles all the time. I enjoy it and hope you all are enjoying life. Try learning new stuff and keep me in the loop on what's going on! Anyone have questions tell me I'll be here to answer all week. 😜 😘

Love Elder Heckel


No comments:

Travis - Easter Week!!!!

Hello Everyone! So this has been a fantastic week. We had a lot of stuff for this Easter time that has made it all the more fun. So we had a...