Monday, March 23, 2015

Travis - NEW Ipad and NEW Area!

Hey Everybody! 

I'm finally back, gosh I had no way to message until now. It's great to be able to once again message you all.  Well this past month has been crazy! We just had our first mission wide conference in almost 5 years, all the missionaries met in Gridley's stake center. It was so awesome to see so many missionaries. I can't believe I know so many actually, yet their are quite a few that I had no idea where here and I am excited to serve with them. So during this new conference they told us the testing for iPads is officially done. We are to turn in all our iPads. There where a total of 22 missions chosen to test out iPads. After successful testing they decided to put out new iPads with better software and more tools to help missionaries. And 88 missions where chosen to get these new iPads, ours did so well they happen to re-choose it again to have them. And these iPads now are owned by each missionary to be able to take home(as long as you go home after August 3rd, or live in North America). But we are being given extensive training on how to use iPads and the different tools given to us, so over the next couple weeks we will not have Facebook until training is completely done. This is cool to be able to integrate these into missionary life, although for me it never beats using a solid copy of the scriptures. They talked a lot about this becoming the digital age in which people are more curious and willing to explore now through the Internet than by knocking on their door, especially with people and their friends, more people are willing to ask a friend over Facebook than even talk with us. I would invite all of you especially this Easter time to share the new Easter video(starting the 28th) and leave room for people to ask you questions about it. I promise you will be amazed at how little people know about the LDS Church, I extend this with the hope that all of you can be a helping hand in one of the greatest ways possible. 
       Well also big news, although I haven't had much success in getting baptisms in Gridley, I planted the seeds of curiosity in many and managed to get bunch of new investigators. It's been so exciting to be able to meet all the new people, to work in the orchards and to be a part of the community. But Sadly that day has come to an end... I have been called to be transferred to Loomis 1st ward. I'm moving even more south now and have been transferred from a car to walking and biking. This is my first biking area and I'm excited to be able to serve here with a new missionary( he has been out only 3 months) Elder Burnhisel! He's a big ball of fun and I am excited to work in this area with him. It is a serious change for me, this week has been crazy transferring, helping with iPads and getting to know the new people. I don't know who chose to set up these street, but their crazy!! How people find their way around beats me. But the spirit here is strong and the whole ward is very missionary minded, they all are always helpful asking for ways that they can help us or do something themselves. I can't wait to see what the future holds.

But I am enjoying my time out here, meeting so many different people kinda opens your mind and heart to people and their situations. I seriously couldn't believe that this part of California even existed and I know I talk way to much in these letters. I want to shorten them down a little so that you may be able to answer or even finish reading it all. I hope all of you are having fun, I pray for you all ways. See you all next week, keep outta this crazy hot sun and had fun!! 

-Elder Heckel

No comments:

Travis - Easter Week!!!!

Hello Everyone! So this has been a fantastic week. We had a lot of stuff for this Easter time that has made it all the more fun. So we had a...