Thursday, January 9, 2014

Jenessa Week 12- Longest week ever!! Transfers-She Stays!

Ok...so this week was really really good, but it was so incredibly long waiting for transfer calls to come around. Haha! I AM STAYING!! and so is my companion Sister Orton! I couldn't be happier! You have no idea. I love my companion Sister Orton, we have grown so much from each other and i feel like we still have so much yet to learn from each other!

We have been on bikes most of this past week and OH MY GOODNESS is it cold! When it gets down below 40 degrees here...it feels like its below freezing! Its crazy how cold you feel with the humidity! Its nuts! Today is one of the coldest days i have experienced. It is 32 degrees outside....I had to wash the car with a power hose today and oh my goodness....I was only doing it for like 2 min (it was super fast wash because it is so cold) and i got in the car afterwards and my hands were burning as they tried to warm up!! Absolutely ridiculous!! Its should not be this cold in Florida, I was not prepared for this. Hopefully this cold spell doesn't last though! :-) We shall see!

Even though this week was incredibly long, it was absolutely fantastic! We found out that we will be getting our Ipads at our Zone Conference, the first week of February! Its going to be crazy!  President Craig shared something with us in his last email......he shared this quote from Elder Perry.....saying, " This is a new day in missionary work. The Lord's work is being hastened as the missionary force increases, and he has insured that the tools are available to fulfill his mighty purposes." He truly has prepared the tools for us to hasten this work forward in a way that we never even knew was possible. President Craig, said that we are one of the first missions to be using these digital tools. He shared with us that there were only a few other missions that started using the tools a year ago and "they literally doubled their investigator pools, their teaching lessons and even baptisms."  It is very exciting to think how these new tools might change our work, and give an add dimension of proselyting that we have yet to tap into. WOW!! I am truly humbled by the fact that the Lord called me to be a part of this mission and be a part of this great hastening of the work! I am truly grateful that i have this wonderful opportunity!

This week was wonderful as well, because we picked up 5 new investigators and are having a lot of wonderful teaching opportunities!! We, unfortunately, had to drop Harold and Christine.....at least for a little while....they just aren't committal to things. They seem to really enjoy our visits and seem to accept our message, but after 2 months they are still not coming to church, consistently reading the Book of Mormon or even attempting to stop smoking. So we are taking a step back and we will try again later! BUT....we have FIVE new gators and we are teaching another sweet family who seems to be embracing the gospel. I think I may have already talked about them, its an older couple and their granddaughter Sara! LOVE THEM!

We are also teaching this black woman, Kristy. She is in her mid-30's maybe. She is just taking it all in like a sponge. She isn't completely sure about everything, but we definitely feel the spirit when we teach her. We are also teaching this man named Zedric, cool name hu?! He is wonderful. He wants to turn his life around! We don't think he has really prayed to know if things were true.....but when we talk with him and ask him questions, he says that he feels that everything that we have shared with him has to be true. We are excited to continue forward with teaching him, although it is kind of difficult to meet with him because he goes to bed between 11 and noon.... because he works graveyards at Walmart from 11pm to 7am and then he just stays up till almost noon....he's sleeping schedule is backwards....lol :-) we're working with it though and now that church has changed to 9am...he can come to church!! YAY!! We are teaching a lot of other people too! We are even teaching a few people online!! I LOVE ONLINE WORK! Truely....facebook was created for missionaries to be able to reach people that we would not have been able to reach otherwise! WOOT WOOT!! Love it!

Oh.....and guess what we did last p-day!! I SHOT Sister Carlson!! No....really. I shot her with an ear piercing "gun." It was great! I can not believe she let me do it! Apparently I have this power of persuasion that nobody else has ever had before with her. She has had many people try and talk her into getting her ears pierced and she has always said no and basically decided that she would live her whole life without getting her ears pierced....well....haha! She not only let me convince her to get her ears pierced, but she let me pierce them!!! Oh the crazy things we do as missionaries!! :-) LOL

Another thing, we wen on a "power" trade off with the new Sister Leader Coordinators. They are like the representatives for all the Sister's in the mission and they do trade offs with all the other Sister Leaders, like the AP's do trade offs with the Zone Leaders. They (the Sister Leader Coordinators) are given a number by President Craig of how many "power" trade offs he wants them to go on and then they pray about which sisters in the mission they should go out with and apparently this last week they felt like they needed to go out with me and my companion. It was fantastic! I got to go out with Sister Whiting...one of my favorite people. I have always wanted to be her companion! It was wonderful. We talked to some really great people in their area, in Mandarin, and wen over to a less active woman's home and she was definitely a little tipsy. It was quite entertaining....and then at the end of our lesson. We were giving her hugs and she was just so excited that we had come by that when she hugged me she decided she wanted to pick me up. It was hilarious! She is not a very big lady either. She is about 5' 9" and maybe weighs 135 or 140....yup....and she just lifted me right off the ground, I think being drunk may have had something to do with it. LOL :-)

Anyways....... I am doing so fantastic and loving my mission. I can't believe i am hitting my "half way" point here in like 10 days! That puts me at my technical 9 month mark....even though I have only been out this second time for 3 months! That is so crazy! I dont even want to think about going home! AHHH! I love my mission way too much to ever want to leave! :-)
Love you all!! Have a wonderful week. Hope nobody freezes, since I hear the whole country is going through this "deep freeze" thing everyone keeps talking about. Stay warm!

Bybye now!

Love
Sister Heckel

No comments:

Travis - Easter Week!!!!

Hello Everyone! So this has been a fantastic week. We had a lot of stuff for this Easter time that has made it all the more fun. So we had a...